We have all heard the expression, “you only have one chance to make a good first impression”. This expression has never been more true than when it comes to selling a home. When preparing your home for sale, make it SPARKLE. This means clean, organize, clean, discard, and clean. Following is a list of areas of your home to which you should pay special attention when preparing it for sale:
- Clean all windows.
- Have carpets shampooed.
- Replace worn carpets.
- Repair holes and paint marred walls.
- Paint or stain doors – oil squeaky hinges.
- Store out of season clothes.
- Clean and condition fireplace tiles and moveable parts.
- Clean air vents and returns – replace or paint if needed.
- Clean light fixtures and ceiling fans.
- Remove clutter to make rooms and closets more spacious.
- Clean or replace switch and outlet covers.
- Replace the furnace filter.
- Confirm that the water softener and water heater is clean and functional.
- Clean appliances, cabinets and countertops.
- Store kitchen counter appliances out of sight.
- Clean cabinets and discard unused items especially under the sink.
- Clean everything. Appliances should be spotless.
- Old caulk should be removed and replaced. Tile and grout should be examined and replaced or repaired as necessary.
- Repair leaks.
- Install deodorizers in each bathroom.
EXTERIOR CURB APPEAL
- Cut back over grown hedges and trees.
- Keep the lawn mowed and properly fertilized.
- Wash, clean and paint siding and trim.
- Clean and paint front door and screen.
- Install a new “Welcome” mat.
- Replace entry light and other exterior lights with high wattage bulbs.
- Make sure rain gutters are clean, secured and proper extensions are in place.
- Have older roofs inspected.
- Organize it like a hardware store.
- Discard unused items.
- Remove oil spots from concrete floor.
- Lubricate garage door and confirm opener is functional.
- Paint garage door and service door.
- Remove your car from the garage during showings.